Baby chicks and cupcakes are here for Easter! Here’s some furry friends to make when the Easter season rolls around. A fun springtime activity for holidays and parties to have everyone make their own (tasty) baby chick! I make these chicks typically with vanilla cupcakes and buttercream. This makes them easier to frost and pat with toasted coconut flakes. Of course though, they can be any flavor you like. Be careful of cake crumbs though if the cupcake is chocolate or red velvet; could start to get messy.
5 cups buttercream,* approximately
2 cups coconut flakes, approximately
20 black jelly beans
10 red vines
10 whole almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Make your favorite cupcake recipe and let them cool down
- Toast the coconut flakes for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Make sure not to burn.
- Once that’s done, take off paper liner if using, sit the cupcake on its base and cover each one with lots of buttercream to make a generalized egg shape.
- Pat the buttercream cupcake with the toasted coconut for the fur (this is great because you don’t have to have a perfect egg-shaped body).
- Add 2 black jellybeans for eyes
- Add an almond for the beak
- Cut red vines for the correct length for legs and head
Ta Da, the chicks have arrived!
*The cupcakes and buttercream can be any flavor you like. Be careful of cake crumbs though if the cupcake is chocolate or red velvet.
Nutrition per Serving (depending on the cupcake and buttercream recipe): 320 calories, 2g protein, 42g carbs, 3g fiber, 16g fat, 8g sat fat, 117mg sodium