Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!
Not-so traditional Irish Soda Bread
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp butter
2 oranges, zest
1/2 cup currants*
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Mix thoroughly the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl
- Add the butter and mix with a fork or hands until butter is crumbled into pea-size
- Zest in the orange and add currants
- Mix in the buttermilk, the dough will be wet
- Dump dough onto a greased baking sheet, pat into a round oval shape
- Cut an X on the top of the dough (to let the fairies out as history says*!)
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, depending on your oven
- Either test with a toothpick or turn the bread oven and tap the bottom.
This bread is best WARM! Great with butter and/or jam
*The currants and orange zest can be optional
*Fairy reference: Mangan, Kathleen. “Secrets of the soda bread masters.” BBC, 20 Sept 2016, http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20160920-secrets-of-the-soda-bread-masters.
Nutrition per Serving: 201 calories, 6g protein, 38g carbs, 0g fiber, 3g fat, 2g sat fat, 309mg sodium
Leave a Reply