Magnolia neighborhood farmer’s market in Seattle! Most of the local markets started up for the summer a couple weeks ago. As I walked around I saw vibrant fruits and vegetables, local bakeries, great breakfast and lunch options under a tent, and wine tasting at 10am!
Week of June 4th, 2018
My Odd Discovery of the Week: Elephant Garlic
The farmer opened up this tan bulb for me and showed me the “flower” inside. I got to try the little buds which had a mild onion, nutty flavor. The flavor is not as strong as the true garlic flavor (some describe it as weak). Don’t be fooled, elephant garlic is not actually garlic. This is a type of leek, 2-3 times larger than true garlic. The family this belongs to is Allium ampeloprasum. Once it’s peeled, there are about 6 cloves, depending on the size of the elephant, with a yellow color. The season lasts from April to August; store for 8 months or longer in a dry and cool area, in a breathable environment such as a mesh bag.(1-3)
Packed with vitamin E, K, A, C, vitamin B6, folate, allicin. Allicin has antimicrobial properties, which are known to fight against common bacteria. The fight is stronger than true garlic. Also stronger than some penicillin strains.(4-6)
Elephant garlic can be used in soups, sauces, pasta, and with meats. This “leek” is great roasted and simply spread on toast.(2,5)
References listed at the bottom of page.
Tabletop mound of vibrant, green sugar snap peas.
Mix of different leafy greens including “spicy” arugula, topped with edible flowers.
Bright deep red and orange cherries, tis the season! Each summer I like to grab 1 lb. a week.
Curly garlic scapes
Poffertjes — Miri’s Seattle
The coolest (but really hot) little tent breakfast! Pofferjes mean Mini Dutch Pancakes. These are pancake balls baked in a pan of “half spheres” or divots and quickly flicked out and dressed with butter and powdered sugar. Five options were available including rhubarb lemonade.
- How to Use Elephant Garlic (2011, Nov). Cook’s Illustrated. Retrieved from https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6360-how-to-use-elephant-garlic
- Maier, Casandra. (n.d.). Elephant Garlic Varieties. Home Guides, SF Gate. Retrieved from https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/product/green-jumbo-elephant-garlic
- Boyhan, G., Kelley, W., Granberry, D. Production and Management of Garlic, Elephant Garlic and Leek (2017, May 31). Univ of Georgia. Retrieved from https://secure.caes.uga.edu/extension/publications/files/pdf/C%20852_2.PDF
- Elephant Garlic (n.d.). Specialty Produce. Retrieved from http://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/elephant_garlic_850.php
- Elephant Garlic Scapes (n.d.). Whole Earth Harvest. Retrieved from https://wholeearthharvest.com/shop/greens/elephant-garlic-scapes/
- Zehao H, Jianwu R. Antibacterial Activity of Elephant Garlic and Its Effect against U2OS Human Osteosarcoma Cells. Iranian Journal Of Basic Medical Sciences [serial online]. October 2013;16(10):1088-1094.