Whole grain banana bread! Not too sweet and uniquely full of poppy seeds and sesame seeds! The more ripe the bananas are = more brown spots, the sweeter the bread will be. The excellent nutrition of poppy seeds per 1 oz include calcium, iron, protein, and fiber. Sesame seeds have a good source of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus. If you wanna get crazy, add in chopped nuts or chocolate chips (I’d opt for the chocolate chips). The bread should keep for a few days and a little longer in the refrigerator. Either eat toasty or cold, straight out of the fridge with a little butter for a great breakfast or snack!
Servings: 1 loaf, 14 small slices
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
3 bananas (medium), mashed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
3 Tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Next, mix together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture.
- Stir until thoroughly combined. Try to avoid over-mixing so the bread doesn’t become tough.
- Add to a loaf pan (8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″) or 8″ x 8″ square pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes (if using a square pan, this might cook for a shorter time)
Nutrition per Serving: 209 calories, 3g protein, 23g carbs, 2g fiber, 11g fat, 1g sat fat, 189mg sodium